This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4798 / 51°28'47"N
Longitude: -3.6124 / 3°36'44"W
OS Eastings: 288127
OS Northings: 176882
OS Grid: SS881768
Mapcode National: GBR HC.L026
Mapcode Global: VH5HQ.B2MD
Entry Name: Ogmore Farm
Listing Date: 3 March 1999
Last Amended: 3 March 1999
Source ID: 21773
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located off the NW side of the B4524 road in the hamlet of Ogmore. Located on a bend of the short lane which leads from the road to Ogmore Castle and the River Ewenny.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: St. Bride's Major (Saint-y-Brid)
Community: St Brides Major
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Sub-medieval house with 2-unit, direct-entry plan-form of hall and inner room. Later, a further unit was added to the N end, the roof was raised, and the house generally remodelled. In its current form, the house is C19. The farm is part of the Merthyr Mawr estate which was purchased by Sir John Nicholl (1759-1838), MP and judge, c1803.
Long 2-storey range with rear lean-to. Rubble masonry, rendered and painted white under a slate roof. Two rendered end stacks. Central boarded front door flanked by pairs of wooden 2-light casement windows with multi-panes, all with flat heads and stone sills. To the first floor are 3 similar windows but with segmentally arched heads. One is above the front door, the others asymmetrically placed to L and R. The S gable end has 2 very small windows with stone slabs for the fireplace staircase. The N gable end has no openings.
The rear lean-to is of rubble masonry with a slate roof. Above it are 3 short 3-light windows, each C20. The lean-to has a central planked door flanked by C20 casement windows. Small C20 lean-to to S.
The house has a central stair hall flanked by reception rooms, with kitchen in rear lean-to. C20 brick fireplaces. The S room has a fireplace staircase to the R of the fireplace.
Listed as a well preserved Victorian farm-house with earlier origins.
Group value with its stable range, Ogmore Castle and Old Star Cottage.
Other nearby listed buildings