This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4465 / 51°26'47"N
Longitude: -3.5931 / 3°35'35"W
OS Eastings: 289385
OS Northings: 173148
OS Grid: SS893731
Mapcode National: GBR HC.N4Y3
Mapcode Global: VH5HQ.NXT0
Entry Name: Grand Lodge
Listing Date: 3 March 1999
Last Amended: 3 March 1999
Source ID: 21785
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located along the N boundary wall of Dunraven Park, and forming the N entrance. A trackway leads N uphill towards Durval Farm and the B4265 road.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: St. Bride's Major (Saint-y-Brid)
Community: St Brides Major
Locality: Dunraven Park
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dunraven Castle, an early C19 castellated gothic-style mansion, was situated on a cliff top overlooking the sea. The site has a long and almost continuous history, starting as an Iron Age hillfort. A Norman castle here was awarded to the de Londres family of Ogmore, and then to the Butlers. It was probably rebuilt in the C15 as a manor house, and recorded thus by Leland in the 1530s as ‘the manor place’. It is shown in an engraving of c 1776 with features such as mullioned windows. At this time it is said to have included many of the older elements including a chapel and burial place. It passed to the Vaughans, then to the Wyndham family in the C16, and finally to the Earls of Dunraven.
The castle was rebuilt in 1802-6 by Thomas Wyndham of Clearwell Castle, Gloucestershire, as a hunting seat. The design was drawn up by Mrs Wyndham, though it appears to be based on the design for Clearwell Castle, by Roger Morris, 1728. It was remodelled in 1858 by Egbert Moxham, for Caroline Wyndham; the central tower was replaced by a conservatory and the N and S wings were raised. It was extended with a tower and wing on the seaward side by George Devey in 1886-8. The castle was demolished in 1962, having been used as a hotel, and only the footings survive.
The park was a deer park in the C17. The park walls, lodges, entrances and drives are probably contemporary with the rebuilding of the house in 1802-6. The sea walks in the park were designed by Lord Dunraven in 1840.
The lodge is contemporary with the rebuilding of Dunraven Castle in 1802-6. It is possible that the mullioned windows come from the earlier manor-house. Said to have had a Tudor-arched doorway in a lean-to to the NW.
Tudor-Gothic style lodge of 2 storeys. Central gatehouse flanked by low tower to the W, and link range and tall slender tower to the E. The gatehouse has a rectangular plan, whilst the towers are octagonal and are set forward into the park. Flanking masonry walls form the boundary to the park. The towers and parapets are embattled with machicolations. Rubble masonry, rendered to external (N) side. A large stack, diagonally set with central vertical recesses, rises from the NW of the W tower. Central gateway under Tudor arch with sandstone dressings, containing low boarded double doors. To the E, through the link range, is a postern gate under a similar head. It is smaller, with a relieving arch, and contains a wood boarded door. The E jamb has been rebuilt in concrete.
The front (S) wall has a recessed panel above the gateway below a trefoiled lancet. The central crenellation to the parapet is larger than the flanking crenellations and contains a pierced cross. The W tower has a wood boarded door on the E side under a segmental head with voussoirs. To the front is a window blocked with concrete under a similar head. To the 1st floor is a window with 2 round headed lights with hoodmould under a relieving arch. At the same level on the SE face is a lancet blocked with wood. There is a lancet above the postern gate to the E. The narrow E tower has a boarded door under a relieving arch into the W side, and a lancet to the front at 1st floor level.
The N side of the gatehouse has a trefoiled lancet above the gates, and a higher central crenellation with a segmental headed opening. The W tower has a 2-light 1st floor window as to the front. Similar 3-light window to ground floor, infilled with breeze blocks. In the angle of this tower and the flanking wall is a ruined lean-to (possibly toilets) with slate roof and segmental arched openings. The E tower has a lancet to the 1st floor, and a planked opening below.
Access to E tower only, which contains a fireplace with iron grate against the E side (though there is no visible stack to exterior). The fireplace has brick reveals, so is probably later.
Listed as a well preserved picturesque estate lodge, retaining its character, plan-form
Group value with other listed items in the park.
Other nearby listed buildings