History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monument to J W Jones and family

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanwnda, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1032 / 53°6'11"N

Longitude: -4.2775 / 4°16'38"W

OS Eastings: 247626

OS Northings: 358651

OS Grid: SH476586

Mapcode National: GBR 5H.8KDS

Mapcode Global: WH43M.88CB

Entry Name: Monument to J W Jones and family

Listing Date: 28 May 1999

Last Amended: 28 May 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21812

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated in the south-east corner of the churhyard to the Church of St Gwyndaf.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Caernarfon

Community: Llanwnda

Community: Llanwnda

Locality: Dinas

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llanwnda

History

Commemorates members of the Jones family of Plas-y-Bryn, Caernarfon.

Exterior

Churchyard monument. Flamboyant style ashlar tomb chest with curved ends, decorated with festooned garlands, on stepped plinth, also curved to the ends, surmounted by raised sarcophagus with finial, garlands and tablets; the whole set in rectangular stone surround with twisted iron colonettes linked by decorative iron chains. Main inscription, in Welsh, on tomb chest commemorates J W Jones (1839-96) and his wife, Frances Ann Lloyd Jones (1857-1909); further inscription to plinth, in English, in memory of their son, Capt John Lloyd Jones, MC of the 2nd. battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment, killed in action, March 1916.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a fine late C19 churchyard monument which has group value with the adjacent church.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St Gwyndaf
    Located immediately to the west of the line of the former Welsh Highland Railway in an originally ov
  • II Tafarn Hen (The Old Tavern)
    Located on the west side of the A 487 at the junction with the minor road running westwards to the C
  • II Plas Dinas
    Situated at the end of a 700m minor road running W off the A487 some 600m S of the bridge over the
  • II Maengwyn
    Situated on the south-east side of the A 499 approximately 0.5 km south of Llanwnda; set behind a lo
  • II Hay Barn to east of Ty-hen
    Located on the west side of the A 499 to the west of the main farmstead group at Ty-hen.
  • II Bothy and Pigsties at Ty-hen
    Situated across track to north-east of farmhouse at Ty-hen.
  • II Stables, Cart Shelter and Cowhouse Range at Ty-hen
    Situated around farmyard immediately to the east of the farmhouse at Ty-hen.
  • II Glanrafon Fawr
    Located at the end of a track approximately 250m SE from the minor road from Llanfaglan to Saron.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.