This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1031 / 53°6'11"N
Longitude: -4.2747 / 4°16'28"W
OS Eastings: 247813
OS Northings: 358628
OS Grid: SH478586
Mapcode National: GBR 5J.8D2Z
Mapcode Global: WH43M.98PF
Entry Name: Tafarn Hen (The Old Tavern)
Listing Date: 28 May 1999
Last Amended: 28 May 1999
Source ID: 21813
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Located on the west side of the A 487 at the junction with the minor road running westwards to the Church of St Gwyndaf; low rubblestone wall to front.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Shown on the 1839 Tithe Map, the inn was built in the early C19 after the turnpiking of the road between Caernarfon and Porthmadog, its plan characteristic of a number of roadside inns and houses built in the area at this period. The building is now a private house.
Inn. 2-storey and gable-lit attic, 3-bay building with single-storey hip-roofed ranges attached to each gable end; single-storey range of outbuildings to rear forming basic L-plan. Roughcast rubblestone with the stone exposed to the outbuildings; slate roof with integral end stacks. 3-window front to main building has 16-paned sashes with slate cills; central C20 gabled porch over 6-panel door with intersecting glazing bars to rectangular overlight. 9-paned sashes to single-storey ranges. Outbuilding has C20 windows to roadside and integral end stack.
Interior not inspected at time of Survey.
Included as a well-preserved early C19 roadside inn retaining its original form and external detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings