A Grade II Listed Building in Llanberis, Gwynedd
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1139 / 53°6'50"N
Longitude: -4.1227 / 4°7'21"W
OS Eastings: 258018
OS Northings: 359522
OS Grid: SH580595
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.7T5J
Mapcode Global: WH54M.MZZN
Entry Name: Lower Viaduct
Listing Date: 28 May 1999
Last Amended: 28 May 1999
Source ID: 21851
Building Class: Transport
Location: Located towards the foot of the Snowdon Mountain Railway where it crosses the road and begins to ascend rapidly in height.
Built-Up Area: Llanberis
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
An original structure on The Snowdon Mountain Railway, which was founded as the Snowdon Mountain Tramroad & Hotels Co. Ltd. in 1894 and opened in 1896. The engineers were Douglas and Francis Fox and the line was originally operated by 5 steam locomotives from Switzerland on the rack and pinion system first devised by Dr Roman Abt of Lucerne. Purely recreational in use, the line has always been a major attraction to tourists visiting the area.
Railway viaduct comprising 13 skewed round-headed arches rapidly increasing in height to incline, with a further half arch above the natural rock to the top end. Snecked rock-faced rubblestone blocks with heavily tooled ashlar coping and toothed purple brick to arches.
Reasons for Listing
Included as a major engineering structure on the pioneering Snowdon Mountain Railway.
Other nearby listed buildings
Located at the foot of the Snowdon Mountain Railway directly to the south of Llanberis Station; a water tank manufactured by Bolling & Lowe of London is situated at the north-west corner of the shed.
Located above the spectacular waterfalls of Afon Hwch immediately to the north of Waterfall Station on the Snowdon Mountain Railway.
Royal Victoria Hotel
Situated on slightly rising ground at the south-eastern approach to Llanberis.
Located on the south-west side of Stryd Fawr (High Street), set back from the road in a stone-walled garden with several tall trees.
Church of St Padarn
Located in a a prominent position on rising ground behind the Dolbadarn Hotel on the south side of Stryd Fawr (High Street); the churchyard is of irregular shape and is approached from the north throu
Set back on north side of main road in Pentre-castell at left end of terrace of cottages; separated from other cottages by high rubblestone wall, which along with similar wall to road encloses front g
Capel Jerusalem with former domestic accommodation to rear
Located at the eastern end of Pentre-castell on the north side of the A 4086 immediately south of Dolbadarn Castle; a low rendered wall with iron gates forms a small forecourt to the street.
Situated on very slightly rising ground on the south side of Ffordd Capel-Coch, the chapel occupies a prominent position in the street; low rubblestone wall to street continues to east to enclose fore