This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9339 / 51°56'2"N
Longitude: -3.8827 / 3°52'57"W
OS Eastings: 270658
OS Northings: 227831
OS Grid: SN706278
Mapcode National: GBR Y0.NCK7
Mapcode Global: VH4HS.NN7B
Entry Name: Glansawdde
Listing Date: 19 July 1999
Last Amended: 19 July 1999
Source ID: 21986
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on W side of A4069 some 500m S of Llangadog.
Built-Up Area: Llangadog
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Substantial Victorian house of 1886-7 by David Jenkins of Gorslas, built for Herbert Thomas, soap manufacturer and J P in Bristol, originally from Llangadog. There had been an older house on the site, rebuilt in the early C17 for Thomas Jones, High Sheriff 1617. Owned by the Danyrallt estate in 1839. Offered for sale in 1881 with 49 acres (19.8 hectares). In 1904 described as having drawing, dining and breakfast rooms, library, inner and outer kitchens, dairies and pantries on the ground floor and 8 bedrooms above reached by 2 large staircases. The tender price was £895 in 1886.
Small country house, multi-coloured crazed rubble stone with Bath stone dressings, slate roofs, terracotta ridges and large red brick ribbed and corniced stacks. Two storeys. S front has centre gable with large segment headed 3-light mullion-and-transom window over projecting hipped 4-light bay. Sill course under upper window. To right, a ground floor 3-light mullion window and 3-light above, this window with top-light over centre light extending through eaves under small eaves gable. Big red brick stack on roof above, roof hipped at left angle. Blank end wall with small 2-storey gabled service wing set back, one window range of 2-light windows. To right of gable, main wall is set back with slate roofed veranda.
E end to road has half-hipped gable to left with 2-light window over bay window. 2-light window each floor to right.
Rear has two half-hipped gables over segmental-pointed 2-light first floor cross windows, hipped bay ground floor left, 3-light centre stair light.
Included as a distinctive later C19 gentleman's house with multi-coloured stonework characteristic of the architect.
Other nearby listed buildings