This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8553 / 51°51'19"N
Longitude: -3.9047 / 3°54'16"W
OS Eastings: 268919
OS Northings: 219126
OS Grid: SN689191
Mapcode National: GBR Y0.T63W
Mapcode Global: VH4J5.8MLL
Entry Name: Wern Wgan
Listing Date: 19 July 1999
Last Amended: 19 July 1999
Source ID: 21989
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on edge of open common at SW corner of community area, on N side of the mountain road to Garnant.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Farmhouse with lofted stable and barn in line, probably earlier C19. 1839 Tithe Map has buildings on site, but not apparently to same layout. In 1839 the farm was owned by William Thomas, occupied by William Phillips, with 77 acres (31.2 hectares).
House and outbuildings. Whitewashed rubble stone under single slate close-eaved roof. House to left has stone end stacks, the left end stack with external chimneybreast, the right stack on ridge. Two-storey, 3-window irregular front, upper floor with two square 6-pane sashes, both with stone voussoirs to heads and one longer 12-pane sash under eaves to right. Ground floor openings have stone voussoirs, 12-pane sashes each side of door, but only the right sash aligned with window above. Stone sills. Rear outshut in rubble stone with corrugated iron roof and one stone stack at join with main roof.
Outbuildings to right are continuous with house. To left, 2 doors with stone voussoirs, possibly to a lofted stable, left door part-blocked as window. To right, barn with vent loop each side of big cambered-headed double-doors with stone voussoirs to head.
Included as a good example of farmhouse and outbuildings in line, of a single build.
Other nearby listed buildings