History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Church Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangadog, Carmarthenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.939 / 51°56'20"N

Longitude: -3.8846 / 3°53'4"W

OS Eastings: 270540

OS Northings: 228404

OS Grid: SN705284

Mapcode National: GBR Y0.N528

Mapcode Global: VH4HS.MJ6D

Entry Name: Former Church Hall

Listing Date: 19 July 1999

Last Amended: 19 July 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21998

Building Class: Education

Location: Situated on NE side of road parallel to Church Street, set back in grounds with iron railings and stone gatepiers to road.

County: Carmarthenshire

Town: Llangadog

Community: Llangadog

Community: Llangadog

Built-Up Area: Llangadog

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Llansadwrn

History

Former church school, dated 1861. Latterly used as church hall, disused and for sale 1998. Similarities in style with estate cottages suggest that it was built by the Danyrallt estate.

Exterior

Church hall, former school. Rendered rubble stone with grey tooled limestone dressings and slate roof of small slates. Gable finials each end and to porch, octagonal, corniced. Single storey, 4-window front with projecting gabled porch in third bay. Grey limestone plinth, quoins, rusticated window surrounds with hoodmoulds. Porch is limestone up to hoodmould over Tudor arched door, limestone quoins, rendered above hoodmould with stone square plaque, incised shield inscribed I.W.LL. 1861. Windows are large square-headed cross windows with thin bars. Framed plank door, bargeboards to gables.
Render has fallen away in parts revealing coursed squared multi-coloured stone that probably was originally exposed. Rendered right end wall and single storey rear wing.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a good example of a Victorian church school building with Tudor detail.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Railings, piers and gates to former Church Hall
    Situated enclosing the grassed court of former Church Hall
  • II Penrhyn House
    Situated on corner of Walters Road, attached to Brodawel in L-plan pair. Whitewashed rubble stone cu
  • II Brodawel
    Situated at corner of Walters Road and Vicarage Road behind low curving stone front wall.
  • II Llwyn-yr-adar
    Situated prominently on curve of Church Street, opposite Church House.
  • II The Vicarage
    Situated in own grounds at end of lane, W of village centre.
  • II* Church of Saint Cadoc
    Situated towards the upper end of Church Street, in large churchyard with stone boundary wall.
  • II Delfan
    Situated at the N end of the street, next to Pont Bran.
  • II Rose Cottage
    Situated raised from street on terrace, opposite the Red Lion Inn.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.