This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9795 / 51°58'46"N
Longitude: -3.8841 / 3°53'2"W
OS Eastings: 270693
OS Northings: 232907
OS Grid: SN706329
Mapcode National: GBR Y0.KK5W
Mapcode Global: VH4HL.MHHV
Entry Name: Cwm-dwr
Listing Date: 20 July 1999
Last Amended: 20 July 1999
Source ID: 22022
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on E side of A478 about 1 km N of Llanwrda church backing onto Dulais river.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Farmhouse, probably with C18 origins as shown by the large end chimney. There is a record of a gentry house on the site in the C17 at Cwmydwr including David Evans, ancestor of George Evans who was created Baron Carbery in 1715. Marked on 1837 Tithe Map as part of the estate of Charles Bishop of Dolgarreg, Myddfai.
Farmhouse and outbuilding in line, rubble stone, formerly whitewashed, with slate roof and large roughcast external end stacks, larger to right. Two storeys, double fronted originally but with added first floor centre window. First floor has small-paned casement pair window each side and single casement with brick sides to centre. Timber lintels to original windows, concrete lintel to centre window. Ground floor 12-pane sash each side of C20 glazed door, stone voussoirs to all three openings. Rear is whitewashed with outshut to right half.
Attached to left is low whitewashed long outbuilding with corrugated iron roof. This has window to left, then door, then broad entry, then altered opening with window over blockwork.
Included as a good example of a smaller traditional farmhouse with large chimney stacks indicating a C18 date, retaining vernacular character.
Other nearby listed buildings