History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Llanbradach Colliery middle revetment wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanbradach, Caerphilly

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6096 / 51°36'34"N

Longitude: -3.2317 / 3°13'54"W

OS Eastings: 314804

OS Northings: 190804

OS Grid: ST148908

Mapcode National: GBR HV.9ZSQ

Mapcode Global: VH6DL.XSWY

Entry Name: Former Llanbradach Colliery middle revetment wall

Listing Date: 23 July 1999

Last Amended: 23 July 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22099

Location: Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The middle revetment wall is sited immediately E of the engineering shops and fan house.

County: Caerphilly

Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant (Llanbradach a Phwll-y-pant)

Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant

Locality: Llanbradach Colliery

Built-Up Area: Llanbradach

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Caerphilly

History

Llanbradach Colliery was opened in 1894 by Cardiff Steam Coal Collieries Ltd. Although one of the smaller coal companies, it became one of the largest collieries in South Wales, employing 3000 colliers at its peak in 1913. It continued in operation after nationalisation but was closed in 1961. Ordnance Survey maps suggest 2 main phases of development, the extant structures mostly belonging to the second phase, of the early C20, when most of the original buildings appear to have been replaced. Most of the colliery buildings have survived and have been in use for a variety of light industrial purposes. They form an unusually complete and impressive colliery complex prominently sited overlooking the Rhymney Valley.

The wall is first shown on the 1915 Ordnance Survey, but is clearly of 2 phases. the earlier southern end possibly an original part of the works. The later phase is contemporary with the enlargement of the fan house in the early C19 and its masonry is typical of the second phase of development at the colliery.

Exterior

A revetment wall that reduces in height from N to S. The northern end is of snecked, rock-faced sandstone. It projects forward and is integral with the fan house wall. The southern end is rubble stone with concrete coping.

Reasons for Listing

Included for group value with other associated items at Llanbradach Colliery.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Former Llandbradach Colliery workshops range
    Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The former workshops are sited at the lower level of the site, E of the fan house.
  • II Former Llanbradach Colliery fan house
    Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The fan house is sited on the middle level of the colliery, S of the yard and engineering shops.
  • II Former Llanbradach Colliery upper revetment wall
    Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The upper revetment wall is sited at the middle level of the colliery complex below the engine hall and winding house.
  • II Former Llanbradach Colliery winding engine house
    Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The winding house is sited on the upper level of the colliery to the S of the reservoir and engine hall and immediately W of Col
  • II Former Llanbradach Colliery brick reservoir
    Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The reservoir is sited immediately E of Colliery Road with the engine hall to the N and winding house to the S.
  • II Former Llanbradach Colliery engine hall
    Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The engine hall is on the uppermost level at the NW end of the colliery.
  • II Former Llanbradach Colliery engineering shops
    Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The engineering shops are sited on the E side of the engine hall, at a lower level, and N of the yard and fan house.
  • II Llanbradach War Memorial
    Located in the centre of the village, opposite the site of the demolished parish church, with the recreation ground behind.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.