This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0257 / 52°1'32"N
Longitude: -4.3995 / 4°23'58"W
OS Eastings: 235470
OS Northings: 239087
OS Grid: SN354390
Mapcode National: GBR DB.GHCT
Mapcode Global: VH3KN.PBJX
Entry Name: Weaving Shed at Museum of Welsh Woollen Industry
Listing Date: 28 July 1999
Last Amended: 15 August 2001
Source ID: 22106
Building Class: Industrial
Location: On SW side of site, parallel to main building.
Locality: Drefach Felindre
Built-Up Area: Waungilwen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built c1902. The building was the weaving shed of Cambrian Mills, and in its heyday held 14 power looms. Currently used as entrance block to Museum of Welsh Woollen Industry and craft units.
Long, single storey weaving shed of c.1902 in grey rubble stone with red brick dressings. Slated pitched gabled roof has 6 rooflights to rear pitch, cast iron rainwater goods throughout. Cambered headed windows with brick heads, generally of 25 small panes with slate sills throughout. S elevation has 12 windows, with doorway to L with modern canopy bearing hipped slated roof forming present museum entrance. Rear has similar elevation, but 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 10th windows now doorways.
The building retains its original roof structure with bolted trusses. The W end of the building, which houses the museum entrance retains some power shafts. The remainder has been subdivided into craft units.
Included as integral part of Cambrian Mill, the most ambitious surviving complex of woollen mill buildings in the area. Group value with other listed buildings on this site.
Other nearby listed buildings