This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7964 / 51°47'47"N
Longitude: -3.2162 / 3°12'58"W
OS Eastings: 316221
OS Northings: 211561
OS Grid: SO162115
Mapcode National: GBR YX.Y2VD
Mapcode Global: VH6CV.63KQ
Entry Name: Carmel Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 30 July 1999
Last Amended: 30 July 1999
Source ID: 22134
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently located on the W side of Church Crescent, within a small graveyard.
County: Blaenau Gwent
Community: Rassau (Rasa)
Built-Up Area: Ebbw Vale
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Built 1865. The architect was Rev. Thomas Thomas of Swansea, who designed several chapels for the Independents, many characterised by a bold Classical facade with a giant arch breaking into the pediment.
Classical facade of rock-faced sandstone with grey ashlar limestone quoins also applied around openings. Slate roof. Pedimental gable broken by central giant arch; ashlar quoins. Within arch is round-arched entry, which has C20 doors. Tripartite ashlar window above with segmental head; round arched lights, very narrow to sides. Above is a large tablet inscribed
‘Carmel Independent Chapel 1865’. Outer bays each have a tall round-arched window with simple timber glazing. Ashlar sill-band. West side (facing road) is rendered with five tall round-arched windows set within round-arched recesses: glazing similar to front. Single storey rear vestry.
Four-sided gallery with long panels set between pilasters: applied grained finish, typical of the 1860s. Gallery stepped down behind pulpit for organ. Gallery has thin iron posts with applied marbled finish. Box pews, some dismantled to rear of ground floor. Serpentine-fronted pulpit of mahogany, with turned balusters in outer bays, and sweeping side stairs. Flat painted ceiling, boarded and ribbed to centre with large central rose. Large pipe organ in gallery behind pulpit.
Chapel is currently only partially used.
Listed as an impressively designed Independent Chapel, designed by a leading later C19 chapel architect in Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings