This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1387 / 53°8'19"N
Longitude: -3.3572 / 3°21'25"W
OS Eastings: 309307
OS Northings: 361029
OS Grid: SJ093610
Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.670G
Mapcode Global: WH778.DCKN
Entry Name: T-shaped Agricultural Range at Bachymbyd Fawr
Listing Date: 18 August 1999
Last Amended: 18 August 1999
Source ID: 22147
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located approximately 150m SE of Bachymbyd Fawr.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
C16 cruck barn extended or partially rebuilt in the second half C17. The Salesbury family of Bachymbyd were established on this site towards the end of the C15 as a junior branch of the Salusburys of Lleweni. During the C16 and C17 the family rose to become one of the leading gentry families in North Wales. The primary (2 bay) section of the barn is therefore of great interest in that it relates to the Salesbury's Tudor seat which preceded the present house (dated 1666). Its 2-bay box-framed addition is probably contemporary with the new house. A 3-bay carthouse range was added to the SW in the C19 and a C20 addition adjoins to the NE, thereby creating a T-plan. The SW side of the primary barn section is open and now forms further cart bays.
T-shaped agricultural range. The main section consists of a primary 2-bay cruck barn fragment with a rebuilt (or extended) box-framed, 2-bay lower end. Adjoining this to the SW is a 3-bay C19 carthouse addition and a C20 garage/store adjoins to the NE, thereby completing the range; slate roofs. The primary section has timber-framed end and NE walls, with early brick infill and external (vertical) weatherboarding; its SW side is open and its NE side has a high rendered plinth. The carthouse range is of limestone rubble with economically-slated roof; 3-bay open SE side with plain wooden posts as bay divisions. The C20 range has horizontally-boarded sides and a lower gable end of red brick; modern boarded garage door and steel-framed windows to the SE. Extruded in the angle between this and the primary range is a C20 outshut of brick and rubble; garage entrance to the SE.
2-bay primary barn section with base crucks and original purlins. Braced tie-beam and raking strut trusses to the 2-bay C17 addition; concrete floor. The carthouse range has 3-bay C20 king posts trusses.
Listed for the special interest of its origins as a C16 cruck-built barn with C17 additions.
Other nearby listed buildings