This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1536 / 53°9'13"N
Longitude: -3.3428 / 3°20'33"W
OS Eastings: 310302
OS Northings: 362673
OS Grid: SJ103626
Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.5BJ4
Mapcode Global: WH772.MZDR
Entry Name: Pair of Chest Tombs at the Church of St Saeran
Listing Date: 18 August 1999
Last Amended: 18 August 1999
Source ID: 22152
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located in the churchyard immediately NW of the church, underneath an ancient yew tree.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Pair of late C17 sandstone chest tombs. Each has a tombstone with relief-carved guilloche edge decoration. These rest upon rectangular chests with 3-bay blind arcading to the sides and single shallow arched niches to the ends; grooved decoration. The left-hand tomb has an inscribed stone to Mathew Jones, steward to Sir William Williams, Bart., (of Plas-y-Ward), who died in 1703; below the primary inscription is inscribed: 'Repaired by John Yale of Plas-yn-Yale and his heir 1767.'
The right-hand tombstone is inscribed with the name of Elizabeth Evans, daughter of Thomas Evans of 'Skybion', (d.1684), together with her sister Doulse Evans (d.1686; later inscription to Elin Roberts of Pant Glas, d.1745.
Included for its special interest as a good pair of late C17 and early C18 chest tombs.
Group value with other listed items at St. Saeran's church.
Other nearby listed buildings