History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

April Cottage, formerly the Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfihangel Aberbythych, Carmarthenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8574 / 51°51'26"N

Longitude: -4.0482 / 4°2'53"W

OS Eastings: 259041

OS Northings: 219624

OS Grid: SN590196

Mapcode National: GBR DT.T0J9

Mapcode Global: VH4J2.SL70

Entry Name: April Cottage, formerly the Almshouses

Listing Date: 27 August 1999

Last Amended: 27 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22177

Building Class: Domestic

Location: To the east side of Golden Grove village, facing the street opposite the Vicarage.

County: Carmarthenshire

Town: Carmarthen

Community: Llanfihangel Aberbythych

Community: Llanfihangel Aberbythych

Locality: Golden Grove Village

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Golden Grove

History

Originally consisting of four mid/late-C19 cottages known as the Almshouses, this building is said to have been built for Lady Cawdor. The coronetted monogram SMC is displayed in a lozenge over the main entrance doorway. (This is evidently Sarah Mary Campbell, who became the second Countess Cawdor in 1860: if the coronet signifies 'Countess' then the cottages were built between 1860 and their first mention in the Census in 1881.) The cottages were occupied by four women in 1881, and are first indicated on the Ordnance Survey plan of 1886. The building is now in occupation as a single house.
The two smaller of the original cottages were in the middle range, sharing the central porch. At each end was a larger cottage facing outwards, each with its own porch. There are similar cottages on Lord Cawdor's Stackpole estate (Widows' or Cheriton Cottages, Stackpole Elidor).

Exterior

Designed as four cottages of unequal size, April Cottage is a building of H plan with gables facing the street. Local gritstone ashlar in irregular courses; tile roofs; ornamental bargeboards with finials. The middle range and the wings are of equal height. Two shared chimneys on the middle range apex. Originally single-storey but much of the roof space has now been inconspicuously converted to attic rooms.
There is a small porch centrally which originally served both of the middle cottages and remains the main entrance. Narrow round-headed outer doorway; arch voussoirs bonded with the general masonry. Double outer doors, boarded. Above the arch is a lozenge tile with monogram and coronet. On each side elevation is a similar porch, originally the entrance to one of the larger cottages, now converted to a window. Two windows each of two lights with a mullion and lattice glazing flank the porch in the middle range, and two at rear; similar four-light canted bay windows in the wings at front. The rear of both wings is now rendered and the windows are modernised. Modern rooflights at rear of main range and on left elevation. Large modern conservatory at left.

Reasons for Listing

A fine group of mid C19 almshouses whose architectural character remains intact notwithstanding conversion to a single house.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.