This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1351 / 53°8'6"N
Longitude: -4.2058 / 4°12'20"W
OS Eastings: 252531
OS Northings: 362044
OS Grid: SH525620
Mapcode National: GBR 5L.6JSS
Mapcode Global: WH54L.CGGF
Entry Name: Pant Afon
Listing Date: 27 August 1999
Last Amended: 27 August 1999
Source ID: 22247
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located off the east side of the minor road running south-westwards from Llanrug to join the A 4085 between Caeathro and Waunfawr; Llyn Pant Afon lies approximately 50m to the south-east of the house.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The central portion of what is now a very long building was built as the rectory for Llanrug and is shown on the 1839 Tithe Map; it is likely to have been built only shortly before this date; the section to the north was added in the late C19 and that to the south in the early C20. Late C19 gardener's cottage, probably originally freestanding, now attached to southern part and in use as an outbuilding. Each section of the house now forms a separate unit of accommodation.
House. Simple classical style of the late 1830s, with both the later sections to north and south in similar style. 2 storeys. Roughcast rubblestone and brick; slate roofs hipped throughout, except to south wall of northern addition which is gable ended, has rooflights; roughcast stacks to ridge, side and end walls. Original block forms centrepiece of what is now a very long building range oriented north-south. Its original entrance front is on the east and has hip-roofed projection to right with half-glazed door in stone surround under Doric entablature; horned sashes above and to main part of range to left, which has further half-glazed door. Northern section also has hip-roofed projection to right with horned sash windows above shallow flat-roofed porch; slate-roofed lean-to conservatory with full-height glazing on low plinth linked to right bay of original part gives the appearance of 2 largely symmetrical and contemporary hipped roofed advanced bays linked at ground floor by the conservatory, although in fact the 2 advanced bays belong to different periods.
West elevation: original building towards centre has paired hip-roofed projection onto small stone terrace with another projection, slightly higher and slightly set back to right; multi-paned French windows to right part of paired projection and right projection; large tripartite 48-paned horned sash window to left part of paired projection and horned sash and casement windows on first floor of all projections; 16-paned horned sash directly below eaves to left of paired projection.
Northern addition has prominent 2-storey canted bay projection to left with 16-paned sashes on first floor and 24-paned sashes to ground floor of each splay, all horned; section to right of projection has paired 16-paned horned sashes to first floor and wide multi-paned French window placed symmetrically below.
Southern extension projects from the central portion of the house and has 2 widely-spaced 12-paned horned sashes on each floor with small 4-paned windows, also symmetrically placed, on each floor to left. Former cottage attached to end wall has sash window with Gothic glazing bars.
Inspection of house not possible at time of Survey (February 1999) but former cottage attached to the end wall of the southern part has slate slab surround to large fireplace with overmantel and cast-iron range.
Included as a substantial mid-C19 house with late C19 and early C20 additions in similar style, retaining many of its original details intact.
Other nearby listed buildings