History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge over Afon Seiont (partly in Llanddeiniolen Community)

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanrug, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1556 / 53°9'20"N

Longitude: -4.1953 / 4°11'43"W

OS Eastings: 253302

OS Northings: 364308

OS Grid: SH533643

Mapcode National: GBR 5M.57C1

Mapcode Global: WH54D.JYF6

Entry Name: Bridge over Afon Seiont (partly in Llanddeiniolen Community)

Listing Date: 27 August 1999

Last Amended: 27 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22254

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located approximately 1km north of Llanrug on the minor road to Bethel at the point where it crosses the Afon Seiont.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Llanrug

Community: Llanrug

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llanrug

History

Shown on the 1839 Tithe Map, the bridge was built in the early C19 and extended to the north at the crossing with the Padarn narrow gauge railway which opened in 1843; a further arch was constructed immediately to the north of the river, which here forms the Community boundary with Llanddeiniolen, over the standard gauge Caernarfon to Llanberis branch of the London & North Western Railway, which opened in 1869. It appears that the parapet and arches of the main bridge were also rebuilt at this time.

Exterior

Roughly coursed rubblestone, with irregularly coursed stonework to coped parapet above projecting string. 2 semi-circular arches with red brick voussoirs over river with cutwater on east. Irregularly coursed abutments to south, while road rises to north to accommodate arch of the former standard gauge railway and then continues in a stone-walled cutting to the old crossing with the former narrow gauge railway.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a substantial early C19 river bridge, constructed to a high standard and extended c1843 at the crossing with the adjoining former narrow gauge railway, with further reconstruction in 1869, thus documenting an interesting sequence in regional transport history.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Bridge over the Afon Seiont (partly in Llanrug community)
    Located approximately 1km north of Llanrug on the minor road to Bethel at the point where it crosses
  • II Seiont Manor (also known as Llwyn y Brain)
    Located off the driveway leading to Seiont Manor Country House Hotel on the north side of the A 4086
  • II Tyddyn-y-berth
    Situated at end of farm track amongst fields on east side of minor road between Llanrug and Bethel;
  • II Glan Seiont
    Located on the edge of pasture fields at the end of a track off the A 4086 approximately 1.2 km nort
  • II Glasgoed Hall
    Situated to north of farmyard at end of track running north from minor road between Bethel/Saron and
  • II Milestone
    Located on south side of the B 4366 approximately 0.5 km east of Bethel.
  • II Pont-Rhythallt
    Located on the minor road between Llanrug and Penisa'r Waun, where it crosses the Afon Rhythallt.
  • II* Church of St Michael
    Situated on its own in originally rectangular churchyard, now extended to north-east and south-east,

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.