This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1405 / 53°8'25"N
Longitude: -4.1786 / 4°10'43"W
OS Eastings: 254367
OS Northings: 362587
OS Grid: SH543625
Mapcode National: GBR 5M.65DZ
Mapcode Global: WH54L.SBC8
Entry Name: Gladiator statue (north) at Bryn Bras Castle
Listing Date: 27 August 1999
Last Amended: 27 August 1999
Source ID: 22259
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: One of a pair of statues standing on a small lawned area in the garden to the east of Bryn Bras Castle.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
One of a number of statues (several have now gone) brought in by Duncan Alves during his works to the gardens and grounds in the 1920s.
Statue. Stone figure of gladiator, copied from Antonio Canova's sculpture, commissioned by Pope Pius VII (c.1796), the original of which is now in the Vatican Museum, Rome. The figure stands on a high plinth with moulded base and capping but lacks the disc/shield which it formerly held in the left hand above its head.
Included as one of a number of garden structures erected during the 1920s, an important period in the development of the gardens and grounds at Bryn Bras Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings