This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1395 / 53°8'22"N
Longitude: -4.1781 / 4°10'41"W
OS Eastings: 254403
OS Northings: 362476
OS Grid: SH544624
Mapcode National: GBR 5M.6CJM
Mapcode Global: WH54L.SCM1
Entry Name: Boundary wall, screen and gateway, SW side of Llanrug-Llanberis 'Mountain' Road at Bryn Bras Castle
Listing Date: 27 August 1999
Last Amended: 27 August 1999
Source ID: 22262
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Boundary wall running from the entrance to Bryn Teg Caravan Park, past Fernlea and Nos.1-3 The Turrets, where it forms a turreted screen and gateway, continuing underneath the road arch-way and ending
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Most of this section of boundary wall, with the exception of the stretch between the 2 'lodges' (which was originally behind rather than in front of the buildings) is contemporary with the construction of Bryn Bras Castle (1830-5) with the turreted screen wall and gateway, both in existence by 1889, dating to the 1870s or '80s; further modifications were carried out for Duncan Alves in the 1920s.
Boundary wall. Roughly coursed rubblestone with stone-on-edge coping and more regularly coursed stonework to screen and turreted gateway. Of varying height, the wall is at its lowest between the 2 'lodges' and at its highest by Fernlea, on the north-west side of which it forms a decorative screen comprising embattled square corner turrets with blind rectangular 'arrow' slits and 2 round-headed arches containing boarded doors in wall between. From this screen the wall continues to form a gateway set back from the road to the former stables and outbuildings beyond [now Nos. 1-3 The Turrets], consisting of 2 embattled circular turrets and iron gates with overthrow incorporating a decorative lantern (by Brunswick Ironworks, Caernarfon) and the letter 'A' to each end. From the right turret the wall curves to the road and then follows its course under the arch-way linking the 2 parts of Bryn Bras Castle to its end.
Included as a substantial stretch of boundary wall with Picturesque gateway and turreted screen forming a strong grouping with the castle and other garden structures at Bryn Bras Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings