This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9044 / 51°54'15"N
Longitude: -4.2062 / 4°12'22"W
OS Eastings: 248321
OS Northings: 225169
OS Grid: SN483251
Mapcode National: GBR DL.Q99X
Mapcode Global: VH3LC.1DPG
Entry Name: Capel Panteg and attached vestry to left
Listing Date: 2 September 1999
Last Amended: 22 October 2003
Source ID: 22268
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in a remote valley N of a minor road some 4km NE of Whitemill.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
An Independent chapel, built in 1751, rebuilt in 1856. It was a very early cause, founded by the Rev Stephen Hughes in 1669, who was followed by Rev Thomas Bowen (1690-1707) and Rev Christian Samuel (c1707-64), during whose time the first chapel was built. Rev Thomas Davies followed (1765-1813), during whose time Peniel chapel was built. Rev David Davies followed in 1814-64, founded Horeb, Brechfa 1829, and rebuilt Panteg in 1856. Then followed Rev John Rogers (to 1870), during whose time Libanus, Llanllawddog, was built. Capel Panteg vestry is dated 1868. The chapel in 1875 was described as the fourth built, and is a fine example of the long-wall chapel with box pews, all still in the Georgian tradition. Victorian influence is seen only in the painted graining and gallery panelling.
A chapel of unpainted late C19 stucco with plinth, quoins and moulded arches, slate deep-eaved roof. The long-wall facade has 2 arched windows and 2 arched outer doors. Windows are small-paned and long, with radiating-bar heads. The doors are boarded with radiating-bar fanlights. Plaque to centre. The rear is rubble stone. It has 2 large 12-pane sashes lighting the gallery, with brick cambered heads, and 3 smaller 12-pane sashes below with timber lintels.
The attached vestry and stable set back to the L is of rubble stone with brick surrounds. A structural joint and corner stones in the centre indicate that the L side may have been free-standing. A plaque is inscribed 'T.L. 1868'. Four 12-pane windows light the upper storey. In the lower storey is a boarded door with overlight to centre-R and 16-pane sash further R. A second boarded door to extreme R, has slate steps and no overlight.
The interior plan comprises a pulpit to the entrance wall and a 3-sided gallery on 1x4x1 plain thin iron columns. The gallery has a marbled cornice under a painted grained frontal panelled in long panels with rebated angles and inner raised darker panels similarly rebated. Panelled piers are between the long panels, and in curved corners. The centre pier incorporates a clock. A fine set of painted panelled box pews are raked up in 4 rows to the back wall, with ramped ends and grained panelled frontal. They comprise 3 blocks, with aisles between. The gallery pews are painted, panelled, with shaped bench ends. A 9-pane sash is in the E wall only. Flat plain ceiling.
An unusual set fawr and pulpit arrangement is of painted grained wood. The pulpit is square, panelled below squat balustrades of turned balusters and corner newels with finials. Steps are on the R side only. The set fawr is a fully enclosed rectangle in front of the pulpit, with bench around and panelled back. But to the L and R of the set fawr and in front, on each side of pulpit, are single box-pews, colour-painted within. Those on the sides have doors in canted angles, those flanking pulpit have doors direct from the added entrance lobby. Behind the pulpit is a tall horizontally boarded back in marbled reeded frame, with pilaster sides and ogee pointed head with finial.
Listed grade II* primarily for the complete interior of raked box pews and contemporary gallery, a fine example of rural chapel carpentry. Also of historical interest as a very early cause.