This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8022 / 51°48'7"N
Longitude: -4.2416 / 4°14'29"W
OS Eastings: 245539
OS Northings: 213884
OS Grid: SN455138
Mapcode National: GBR DK.XLJV
Mapcode Global: VH3LQ.FYJT
Entry Name: Capel Salem including forecourt railings
Listing Date: 2 September 1999
Last Amended: 12 December 2003
Source ID: 22269
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in the centre of Llangyndeyrn approximately 250m SW of the B4306.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Calvinistic Methodist chapel, founded 1808, enlarged 1837, renewed inside 1851.
Chapel, unpainted roughcast with slate close-eaved roof. Long-wall facade with arched openings all with cut grey limestone voussoirs, keystones and impost blocks. Two centre windows with lozenge date plaque between, 2 shorter outer gallery lights, set higher, and 2 doors set between centre and outer windows. Small paned windows, intersecting tracery to heads and door fanlights. Six-panel doors. Two-storey, 2-window rear wall, ground floor windows C20 plastic.
Front iron railings on coped limestone wall, scrolled spearheads, urn stanchions and paired gates with scrolled mid-rail, dog-bars, and top-rails ramped down. Scrolled iron overthrow.
Pulpit on entry wall and galleried interior on 3 iron columns. Gallery has simple front with curved angles. Vertical panels and moulded top rail. Exceptionally fine set of painted panelled box pews raked to back wall with ramped ends and fielded panels. Centre double block 4 deep, then corner block each side with frontal curved, 4 deep to back wall, 3 deep to side wall, then another small 3-deep block of inward-facing pews under enclosed gallery stairs. Curved cornered set fawr with fielded panelling, with entrance doors between curves and corners of added entrance lobbies. Simple 3-sided pulpit with canted sides and single panels, wine-glass stem, and steps up from right with scrolled tread ends, stick balusters and turned newel. Tall timber panelled pulpit back with cornice.
Gallery pews are similar, painted, panelled and steeply raked. Plain altered ceiling with small C20 rose.
Listed grade II* as an exceptionally well-preserved example of a long-wall chapel with fine mid C19 interior and fittings.
Other nearby listed buildings