This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8257 / 51°49'32"N
Longitude: -4.3044 / 4°18'15"W
OS Eastings: 241292
OS Northings: 216630
OS Grid: SN412166
Mapcode National: GBR DG.W2ZK
Mapcode Global: VH3LP.BCTS
Entry Name: Pen-y-graig Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 2 September 1999
Last Amended: 16 January 2004
Source ID: 22271
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated S of the minor road from Croesyceilog to Cwmffrwd, approximately 500m E of Croesyceilog.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Independent Chapel dated 1751, rebuilt 1831. Said to have been founded in 1748 and to have been renewed 1889-90. Gallery front looks mid C19 and pews may be the same.
Chapel, roughcast with some stucco and hipped slate roof, all renewed in C20. Two-storey front with 2 arched windows and plaque above, 2 cambered-headed doors below. Windows with plastic glazing, doors. C20 band between floors, door surrounds and window heads. Side walls have arched window each floor, two arched windows on rear wall, all C20 plastic.
Pulpit on rear wall, square interior with 3-sided gallery on 2x1x2 iron columns with curious square heads. Fine gallery front with modillion cornice under large vertical panels, the panels dark grained. Curved angles. Painted panelled pews in 3 blocks, with shaped bench ends and low doors. Outer blocks are raked and face inwards. Gallery pews are similar and raked, without doors. Similar pew as set fawr and small later C19 pulpit with canted angles, open panels with balustrading, panels below, the front panel with roundel. Panelled base, similar turned balusters to stairs each side. Painted boarded ceiling with diagonal ribs.
Listed, despite exterior alterations, for the specially rare mid C19 interior with attractive varied graining to gallery and panelled pews.
Other nearby listed buildings