This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3437 / 52°20'37"N
Longitude: -3.8225 / 3°49'21"W
OS Eastings: 275942
OS Northings: 273302
OS Grid: SN759733
Mapcode National: GBR 93.THHS
Mapcode Global: VH4FW.PCK4
Entry Name: Stable Range at Hafod and attached courtyard walls
Listing Date: 3 September 1999
Last Amended: 16 March 2005
Source ID: 22276
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated just NE of site of demolished Hafod mansion.
Town: Ystrad Meurig
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Stable range to Hafod, dated 1882, built for John Waddingham, who purchased the estate in 1870. The stable is the closest surviving building to the site of Thomas Johnes' mansion demolished in mid C20. It comprised two stables in the N range and one room and a pair of coach-houses in the E range. The previous stable court occupied the S and E sides of the court, and the wall on the W is the rear wall of the service court of the mansion.
Rubble-stone single storey L-plan stable range with slate eaves roofs and low gabled ventilators. Blue brick detail, including keystones with impressed decoration and quarter-round moulded eaves cornice. Round-arched openings. S front is symmetrical with window to outer bays and doors flanking paired central windows. Boarded doors with 2-pane fanlights. Windows are 6-pane casements with similar tilting fanlights. Blue brick arches, rusticated jambs and moulded keystones. Slate sills.
W front of E range has similar door and paired windows to left. Paired large coach-entries to right with brick pier, jambs and round arches. Datestone between arches inscribed 'J.W.1882'. Blank gable ends with overhanging verges.
N rear wall has pair of arched windows to right.
Building overlooks a lawned court with short low rubble wall running S from S end of E range to taller rubble wall running along S side of court, with late C19 blue-brick archway towards right (arch with moulded keystone on outer S face). Iron gate. Buttress to right of arch. W side of court has high rubble wall running N-S, with traces of various blocked openings. At N end, running W is single storey outbuilding with roof hipped to W and W hipped porch. N wall has door and window to left, broader shuttered window to right. Porch has N door. S side has broad shuttered window left of centre.
S facing range has stalls intact with high boarded sides and iron grilles above. Doors into stalls have cast-iron posts with plain over-arches rising from ball finials. Terracotta floor paving.
Included as a well-designed and well-preserved later C19 estate stable building, and for historic association with the Hafod estate.
Other nearby listed buildings