This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1149 / 53°6'53"N
Longitude: -4.2724 / 4°16'20"W
OS Eastings: 248006
OS Northings: 359932
OS Grid: SH480599
Mapcode National: GBR 5J.7SR8
Mapcode Global: WH43F.BYRY
Entry Name: Nantlle Tramway River Bridge
Listing Date: 9 September 1999
Last Amended: 9 September 1999
Source ID: 22281
Building Class: Transport
Location: The Bridge spans Afon Gwyrfai on the west side of Bontnewydd.
Built-Up Area: Bontnewydd
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The Nantlle Railway Act was passed in 1825, and the tramway opened in 1828. The tramway was built to connect Talysarn in the slate-quarrying area of Dyffryn Nantlle with Caernarfon. The initiative for the railway came from the proprietors of the Cilgwyn, Penybryn and Talysarn Quarries, who first mooted the idea for a tramway in 1813, to reduce the heavy shipment costs of transporting slate by road. The railway was built by a joint stock company, with Robert Williams of Bangor as resident engineer, Robert Stephenson (junior) and William Owen of Gwaenfynydd as contractors in consultation with George Stephenson. It was built with a 3'6" (1.067m) gauge. The line was taken over by the Caernarvonshire Railway and converted to standard gauge in 1867, and the bridge was then abandoned. The railway is an early example of a public railway, the first public line to serve the slate quarry industry in Wales.
Single span narrow bridge over river. Rubble masonry, with high arch. Some loss of stonework in spandrels of archway.
Listed as a fine example of an early railway engineering on an important transport route associated with the growth of quarrying in N Wales. The bridge retains its original character and is a significant relic of this important early tramway.
Other nearby listed buildings