This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6269 / 51°37'36"N
Longitude: -3.1962 / 3°11'46"W
OS Eastings: 317296
OS Northings: 192688
OS Grid: ST172926
Mapcode National: GBR HX.8NRT
Mapcode Global: VH6DM.KC5N
Entry Name: Brynysgawen and attached farm range
Listing Date: 16 September 1999
Last Amended: 16 September 1999
Source ID: 22317
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the W hillside of the Sirhowy Valley due W of Ynysddu, reached by the mountain road from Gelli-groes, and along a farm track.
Community: Ynysddu (Ynys-ddu)
Built-Up Area: Ynysddu
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
House probably C17, rear wing added 1910, house further refurbished later C20. Rear of farm range range is inscribed 'R Rees 1780 J Harry Mason'. Appears on early maps as Bryn Ysgdawen.
Farmhouse and attached barn/byre range. Farmhouse on uphill side is rendered with concrete tile roof incorporating rooflights and renewed stack; single storey and attic to front with replaced windows; later, taller 2-storey cross wing to rear. Stepped down is the attached barn range of rubble part limewashed with stone tile roof, swept down over projecting central bay at front to create covered pens; adjacent is an unusual steep-pitched roofed porch to a cross passage running outside the farmhouse behind the chimney with segmental arched entrance; on downhill side is the barn bay. To rear the barn has double doors end left; deep-set rectangular openings to right with former pentice roof.
Farmhouse retains 3 deeply chamfered cross beams with stops, no joists, chamfered lintel to fireplace with stairs beside. Now a single downstairs room with access to later wing and step down to cross passage. Most unusually the porch retains a wallpainting in ochres apparently showing a figure. Barn range has flag floor, some plaster and an old slab. Roof of barn has pegged tie beam and struts and 3 rows of trenched purlins.
Listed notwithstanding alterations to farmhouse mainly for the unusual plan form incorporating barn and porch with rare surviving wallpainting.
Other nearby listed buildings