This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6002 / 51°36'0"N
Longitude: -3.0037 / 3°0'13"W
OS Eastings: 330578
OS Northings: 189516
OS Grid: ST305895
Mapcode National: GBR J5.BH4H
Mapcode Global: VH7BC.W1FM
Entry Name: Crindau Bridge, Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal (partly in Shaftesbury Community)
Listing Date: 14 September 1999
Last Amended: 14 September 1999
Source ID: 22332
Building Class: Transport
Location: Located off the Malpas Road, immediately S of Junction 26 of the M4 motorway. Bridge carries track to allotments.
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The eastern branch of the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal was authorised by Act of Parliament in 1792, and officially opened in 1799. It ran from Newport to Pontnewynydd, and was engineered by Thomas Dadford Jnr. The canal connected with several tramroads belonging to the same company (Monmouthshire Canal Navigational Company), carrying coal down to the wharves. The branch was 17.7 km long, and rose 136.2 metres through 42 locks. The contemporary western branch, 19 km long, ran to Crumlin. In 1812, the eastern branch was connected to the Brecon and Abergavenny Canal at Pontymoile Basin, and this became the main line. In 1853-55, the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company built a railway down to Newport, the company amalgamating with the Great Western Railway in 1880. The canal then became increasingly disused. The Crumlin branch closed in 1949, the main line in 1962. Crindau Bridge is the only contemporary brick bridge over the canal.
Red brick construction. Semi-elliptical arch with sandstone ashlar voussoirs; projecting keystone. Brick stringcourse above arch. Three iron ties through bridge, with round plates above arch. Plain humped parapet, partly rebuilt in 1973, when the sandstone copings were removed. On S side of bridge is iron plate: ‘ Crindau No. 1 Bridge’.
Listed as a significant element of the engineering works associated with the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal.
Other nearby listed buildings