History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bod Cybi

A Grade II Listed Building in Clynnog, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0208 / 53°1'14"N

Longitude: -4.3646 / 4°21'52"W

OS Eastings: 241491

OS Northings: 349668

OS Grid: SH414496

Mapcode National: GBR 5D.FN7C

Mapcode Global: WH43Y.XBSK

Entry Name: Bod Cybi

Listing Date: 15 September 1999

Last Amended: 15 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22352

Building Class: Domestic

Location: The house is one of a row of cottages overlooking the churchyard at the centre of the village.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Caernarfon

Community: Clynnog

Community: Clynnog

Locality: Clynnog-fawr

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Clynnog-fawr

History

The row of cottages were built in various phases through the mid-later C19. Bod Cybi was the house of Ebenezer Thomas. He was born in poverty in Llanarmon (Llannor community) in 1802, and after a dissolute and wanton life, settled in Clynnog-fawr, becoming the schoolmaster and later the grocer. He rejoined the Calvinistic Methodist chapel in 1839 and his school became a preparatory school for entrants to the ministry. He learned his prosody from local Eifionydd poets and, as Cybi o Efion, won the chair at the Powys Eisteddfod in 1824, thereafter becoming a regular contributor. He became a very well known romantic poet, critic and writer of awdlau and englynion. His school was established in 1827 in St Beuno's chapel opposite, under the auspices of the National Society; this he left and rejoined the Methodists, continuing the school first in his own house and then in the Methodist chapel at Clynnog. He died on the 17th February 1883. His monument stands by the vestry on the N side of the church.

Exterior

Built of roughly squared local stone rubble, with an old irregular slate roof. Double fronted, with a central modern 6-panelled door and 4-paned overlight, and original C19 horned 4-pane sash windows to each side; that on the right larger with remains of a rendered surround. Similar windows to the first floor. Stack on the party wall. The building may be earlier than the adjoining cottages as the front wall is not bonded either side.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a small village house of vernacular type, retaining its original character, and for its direct association with the well-known poet and critic, Eben Fardd, who spent much of his life in the village as schoolmaster and preacher.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.