This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9556 / 51°57'20"N
Longitude: -3.7879 / 3°47'16"W
OS Eastings: 277237
OS Northings: 230082
OS Grid: SN772300
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.LYYG
Mapcode Global: VH5F9.93CM
Entry Name: Old Post Office
Listing Date: 30 September 1999
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 22397
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in centre of village, opposite Plough Inn, attached to Church House.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terraced house, a pair with Church House to left, possibly of same date, mid to later C19, but possibly remodelling older range. There are buildings on the site marked on 1839 Tithe Map. Ground floor left has original shopfront with separate door. Stucco detail is possibly early C20.
House and former shop. Unpainted roughcast with unpainted stucco dressings in contrasted colours, and slate roof. Roughcast left stack with yellow and black brick top, shared with Church House, and smaller red brick right end stack. Two storeys, three-window range of sashes with marginal glazing bars, and centre panelled door with overlight. Shopfront to ground floor left, painted timber with fascia continued over centre house door. Panelled piers with console brackets, one each side of shopfront, one each side of house door, and continuous cornice. Shopfront has 6-pane shopwindow and half-glazed double doors with overlight. Coloured glass in margins of door glazing. Both shop and house door are recessed in panelled reveals.
Early C20 stucco detail, brown window surrounds with keystones, sill band with inset band of small modillion brackets, and eaves band. Angle piers each floor with pale grey inset fluted panels.
Letter-box to ground floor right marked ER.
Included as a well-preserved C19 house and shop combined, retaining C19 detail including original shop entry and shop window. Part of a virtually intact and coherent group of houses in the centre of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings