This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9689 / 51°58'8"N
Longitude: -3.7915 / 3°47'29"W
OS Eastings: 277026
OS Northings: 231563
OS Grid: SN770315
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.L466
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.7SG0
Entry Name: Barn at Llwynywormwood
Listing Date: 30 September 1999
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 22401
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated on S side of farmyard at Llwynywormwood, reached by drive from Penhill Lodge 1.4 km N of Myddfai. Large area of original cobbles in front of barn.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Barn, late C18 or early C19, in former stable yard to Llwynywormwood, the adjacent gentry house now in ruins. The estate of the Williams passed in 1785 to George Griffies, who seems to have created a C18 park, built lodges and rebuilt the mansion. He became Sir George Griffies-Williams Bt in 1815. The barn probably dates from his time. Marked on 1839 Tithe Map.
Barn, rubble stone with hipped slate roof. Traces of former whitewash. Very long single range with two large barn entries, both with timber lintels and boarded double doors. Opposed doors to rear. Six vent loops, two in centre, two on far side of each entry. End walls have 3 vent loops.
Fine undivided interior with triple purlin roof and 10 pegged roof-trusses of tie-beam and collar type.
Included as an unusually large late C18 or early C19 barn with undivided interior.
Other nearby listed buildings