This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0714 / 53°4'17"N
Longitude: -4.2392 / 4°14'21"W
OS Eastings: 250079
OS Northings: 355034
OS Grid: SH500550
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.BGQP
Mapcode Global: WH43T.V2J5
Entry Name: Cae-Ffynnon
Listing Date: 30 September 1999
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 22410
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at the end of a short track off the minor road running north-eastwards towards Bwlch-y-llyn from the Carmel to Y Fron road; vast slate waste heap towers behind.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Not shown on the 1840 Tithe Map, the cottage is likely to have been built shortly afterwards, probably as part of the rapidly expanding slate industry of the area, although the attached cowhouse shows that the building also had an agricultural function.
Single-storey 2-room cottage, aligned roughly north-east to south-west, with contemporary cowhouse attached under same roof line to north-east gable end. Painted roughly coursed rubblestone; turnerised slate roof. House part to right has 4-paned sashes with slate cills to left and right of offset recessed doorway with C20 door; C20 glazed door in line with large ridge stack at junction with cowhouse; less substantial integral end stack to right. Former cowhouse has window to right with recessed doorway immediately to its left.
Interior not accessible at time of Survey.
Included as a well-preserved mid-C19 quarryman's cottage and attached cowhouse, built in the local vernacular tradition and illustrative of the importance of the dual agricultural and industrial economy of the area at this period. The building is a typical feature in the landscape of small fields and scattered cottages, characteristic of the upland settlement pattern associated with the development of quarrying in this region.
Other nearby listed buildings