This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0809 / 53°4'51"N
Longitude: -4.3055 / 4°18'19"W
OS Eastings: 245669
OS Northings: 356223
OS Grid: SH456562
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.9YC6
Mapcode Global: WH43L.TTYH
Entry Name: Tan-y-groeslon
Listing Date: 30 September 1999
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 22424
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on junction of 2 minor roads approximately 0.6km north-east of Llandwrog; the cottage is built into the side of a slope falling away to the rear; in front is a low rubblestone wall with centr
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built as a small Glynllifon Estate farmhouse between c1860 and c1870 as the third Lord Newborough turned his attention from the rebuilding of the village, largely complete by 1860, towards the construction and remodelling of farms and cottages elsewhere on the estate.
Irregularly coursed rubblestone with slate lintels and extensive traces of rendering to left gable end; slate roof with slate-coped verges to gable ends of main range. This has narrow central porch over boarded inner door, squeezed between slightly projecting full-height gables with small 3-light mullioned and transomed timber windows on first floor and larger multi-paned windows on the ground floor, the lower central sections of which are vertically sliding; painted brick ridge stack with chimney pots to each side of porch. Gable ends of main range have windows on each floor, left infilled, right plastic on ground floor. Rear elevation has gabled porch slightly offset to left, above which is a rooflight; 2-light plastic window to right.
Interior not inspected at time of Survey.
Included as a well-preserved small estate farmhouse provided by the third Lord Newborough as part of the reordering of the Wynn family estate in the mid C19. The house exhibits the symmetrical composition, joinery detail and simplified Gothic detail typical of the Estate's work in the area at this time, while Llandwrog itself is among the best-preserved estate villages in this part of Wales from this period.
Other nearby listed buildings