This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0802 / 53°4'48"N
Longitude: -4.3062 / 4°18'22"W
OS Eastings: 245622
OS Northings: 356155
OS Grid: SH456561
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.9Y68
Mapcode Global: WH43L.TTMZ
Entry Name: Nos.3 & 4 Ffrwd
Listing Date: 30 September 1999
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 22425
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on bend of very narrow road approximately 0.5km east of Llandwrog; low rubblestone wall enclosing front gardens has been partly demolished to provide widened access, in the case of No. 4 for
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built as a pair of Glynllifon Estate workers' cottages between c1860 and c1870 as the third Lord Newborough turned his attention from the rebuilding of the village, largely complete by 1860, towards the building and remodelling of farms and cottages elsewhere on the estate.
Long single-storey central range with equal-height 2-storey gabled ranges projecting to front, very similar in basic plan-form to the roughly contemporary Ysgol Llandwrog in the nearby village. Irregularly coursed rubblestone with slate-stone lintels and cills; renewed slate roof. Front in 1:2:1 bays, windows all wooden multi-paned mullioned and transomed windows in 3 lights (lower section vertically sliding) on ground floor and smaller 3-light mullioned and transomed windows to gables; entrances through shallow gabled porches to inner returns. 2 rendered ridge stacks to main range, one to ridge of left gable and another stack to right of right gable. Left gable (part of No.4) has rooflight in each roof slope.
Interior not inspected at time of Survey.
Included as a well-preserved pair of substantially built workers' houses provided by the third Lord Newborough as part of the reordering of the Wynn family estate in the mid C19. The cottages retain the symmetrical composition and joinery detail characteristic of the Estate's work in this area at this time, while Llandwrog itself is among the best-preserved estate villages in this part of Wales from this period.
Other nearby listed buildings