This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0747 / 53°4'28"N
Longitude: -4.3269 / 4°19'36"W
OS Eastings: 244214
OS Northings: 355584
OS Grid: SH442555
Mapcode National: GBR 5F.BCDR
Mapcode Global: WH43L.HZS7
Entry Name: Disused Farmhouse at Bodfan
Listing Date: 30 September 1999
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 22436
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Stands immediately to the north-east of the main house at Bodfan, to which it is attached by a short section of wall abutting its south-western corner.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Bears the datestone "1710" with the arms of Collwyn ap Tango and the initials "B/L A/1710" (Bodvel/Lloyd Anne), which appears to correspond well with the building's constructional detailing and means that it cannot be the structure referred to in the inventory made after the death of William Lloyd in 1682. The inventory is therefore more likely to refer to parts of the main house, elements of which certainly date to the C17 if not before. After the remodelling of the main house in the early C19 this building was used as a stable on the ground floor and as accommodation for farmhands on the first floor and attic - the lean-to and external steps to the first floor on the back wall are probably C19 and relate to this purpose; later used for storage, the building was in derelict condition at the time of Survey. The group of buildings at Bodfan may be an example of 'unit planning' in which several households (of the same family) were accommodated on a single site.
2 storeys and attic rectangular plan building in 5 bays, aligned roughly east-west. Irregularly coursed rubblestone, still largely roughcast, with cut slabs to chimney stacks; slate roof, replaced by asbestos sheeting to back (north) slope, much of slate covering missing at time of Survey. Front with continuous slate drip above heads of ground- and first-floor windows as string courses has only 2 windows visible - the remainder are completely infilled - 2-light plain timber mullion windows (glazing gone); windows on ground floor and original central entrance all now with C19 stable ventilators; tall integral end stacks with slate drips and capping; much worn stone plaque (see History) above original entrance. Rear has doorway to left on first floor approached by straight flight of stone steps, the western side of which is formed by a large C19 rubblestone lean-to, the top of which cuts through a first-floor window; further first-floor window to right. C19 rubblestone and graded slate-roofed outbuilding attached to east gable end is half-hipped at east end with paired double doors under massive stone lintels.
Proper inspection not possible owing to poor condition but noted as retaining much timberwork and other features intact, albeit much of it in a very poor state. Original 5-bay roof structure largely intact; substantial pegged collar trusses, the collars cambered and pegged to the face of the principal rafters, double purlins; the common rafters survive only to the front slope.
Included, notwithstanding its poor condition,as an important and distinctive component of a compleax group of buildings which may be an example of unit planning in which several households (of the same family) were accommodated on one site. This building is an example rare for this region of a largely unaltered early C18 minor gentry farmhouse, in this case part of a cluster of related structures.
Other nearby listed buildings