This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0661 / 53°3'58"N
Longitude: -4.2704 / 4°16'13"W
OS Eastings: 247969
OS Northings: 354507
OS Grid: SH479545
Mapcode National: GBR 5J.BT9H
Mapcode Global: WH43T.C6Q8
Entry Name: Uwchlaw'r-rhos
Listing Date: 30 September 1999
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 22440
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated approximately mid-way along a long farm track running eastwards from the A 499 between Groeslon and Penygroes towards Cilgwyn; the main part of the farmhouse has a low rubblestone wall with c
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The farm is not shown on the 1840 Tithe Map and it appears to be one of several planned farmsteads established in this area by the Newborough Estate after 1850, most probably during the 1870s, a period of considerable expansion for the Estate.
2-storey rectangular-plan building in 2 distinct sections, on slight slope aligned roughly north-east to south-west, main part of the house to north-east and with former cowhouse attached to lower (south-west) section. Roughly coursed rubblestone, pebbledashed to main section; slate roofs with integral rendered end stacks. Main part is symmetrical with tripartite sash windows (main sashes 10-paned) on either side of central gabled porch with round-headed outer arch and boarded inner door, upper windows within gabled eaves dormers. Lower section to right has sash window on first floor and tripartite sash window on ground floor; lean-to porch on left with boarded inner door; former cowhouse attached to right gable end has C20 garage door to front.
House not inspected at time of Survey; attached cowhouse has bolted A-frame trusses.
Included as a largely unaltered farmhouse, forming part of the well-preserved later C19 planned Newborough Estate farmstead at Uwchlaw'r-rhos, an important and characteristic building type in this region.
Other nearby listed buildings