This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0654 / 53°3'55"N
Longitude: -4.3024 / 4°18'8"W
OS Eastings: 245820
OS Northings: 354490
OS Grid: SH458544
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BZ76
Mapcode Global: WH43S.W6DW
Entry Name: The Nursery
Listing Date: 30 September 1999
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 22444
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Located in well-wooded area of the Glynllifon Estate towards its southern end approximately 0.75km east of Plas Newydd; much of the area within the walls is now heavily overgrown.
Locality: Plas Newydd
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The nursery, in which young trees were grown for transplantation into the surrounding park, was built for the second Lord Newborough between 1824 and 1828. Its constructional detailing is very similar to that of the slightly later park wall. Formerly divided into thirds, themselves subdivided by fences or hedges into 16 separate plots, there was a pool (probably an original feature) in the north-eastern part and also a hexagonal summer house added for the third Lord Newborough before c1840. In 1918 there was a maze in the south corner, no doubt added after the nursery ceased to be strictly functional, although the date of the summer house suggests that the nursery formed part of Glynllifon's ornamental grounds as early as the time of the third Lord Newborough. The summerhouse has now been converted into a private dwelling, Pwll Crwn.
Rectangular walled area measuring approximately 300mx100m, the short north-eastern end slightly greater in length than the corresponding section to the south-west. Drystone rubble wall approximately 2m in height with pointed, slightly projecting coping; main entrance with double wrought-iron gates hung on square piers to north-east; wooden door in long north-west wall and there appear to be other entrances hidden by vegetation.
Included for its special interest as a well-preserved walled nursery area on the remarkably complete C19 Glynllifon Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings