This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7777 / 51°46'39"N
Longitude: -3.2453 / 3°14'42"W
OS Eastings: 314184
OS Northings: 209514
OS Grid: SO141095
Mapcode National: GBR YW.Z7MR
Mapcode Global: VH6CT.PLQ2
Entry Name: W boundary walls, gates and railings at St George’s church
Listing Date: 14 October 1999
Last Amended: 14 October 1999
Source ID: 22485
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The church is located on the E side of Church Street. The W boundary extends along Church Street, from which is the main entrance to the church.
County: Blaenau Gwent
Built-Up Area: Tredegar
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
1835-36, contemporary with the church, which was designed by John Jenkins of London, architect to serve the rapidly growing ironworks town. Railings probably made in the Tredegar Ironworks.
Boundary extends some 60 metres N-S, with matching gates and piers towards each end. Railings set on low rubble walls, which have dressed chamfered copings. Tall cast iron railings, rails diagonally-set. Spear finials to rails, also to lower dog-rail. Strengthening posts are round, with slight entasis; urn finials. Gate piers of ashlar, with moulded copings replaced in cement. Paired gates with similar detail to railings. From N end is short length of wall and 3 bays of rails, then paired gates flanked by piers. Long central stretch of walls with rails, stepped up with slight rise in street. Paired gates and piers beyond, with 4 bays of rails set on low wall at S end.
Well designed early C19 churchyard railings and gates, perhaps made locally. Group value with St George’s Church.
Other nearby listed buildings