This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.768 / 51°46'4"N
Longitude: -3.2433 / 3°14'35"W
OS Eastings: 314303
OS Northings: 208430
OS Grid: SO143084
Mapcode National: GBR YW.ZVHP
Mapcode Global: VH6CT.QTSK
Entry Name: Bandstand at Bedwellty Park
Listing Date: 14 October 1999
Last Amended: 14 October 1999
Source ID: 22487
Building Class: Recreational
Location: Bedwellty Park is located on the S side of Tredegar town centre. The bandstand stands prominently SW of Bedwellty House.
County: Blaenau Gwent
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built 1912 at the expense of Bedwellty Park Athletic Club. Bedwellty House was presented, along with its grounds, to the people of Tredegar by the Morgan family of Tredegar House in 1901, for recreational purposes.
Octagonal bandstand of iron construction. Ornate iron columns, with facetted lower stages, and fluted centre stages. Decorative segmental arches between columns formed by open scrolled wrought iron spandrels. Low railings between columns with repeated scroll pattern, plain top-rail. Structure stands on plinth of moulded cement blocks imitating ashlar: cemented steps facing NE with balustrades matching railings: paired gates with similar detail. Simple plaque to base commemorating the gift of the bandstand to the Urban District Council by Bedwellty Park Athletic Club on 3rd June 1912. Metal-sheeted two-stage roof, altered in later C20: old photographs show that the roof originally had an two-stage ogee profile, with an ironwork frieze between the stages.
Boarded ceiling with radiating ribs.
Group value with Bedwellty House.
Other nearby listed buildings