This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.769 / 51°46'8"N
Longitude: -3.2418 / 3°14'30"W
OS Eastings: 314405
OS Northings: 208541
OS Grid: SO144085
Mapcode National: GBR YW.ZNJ9
Mapcode Global: VH6CT.RSJR
Entry Name: War Memorial at Bedwellty Park
Listing Date: 14 October 1999
Last Amended: 14 October 1999
Source ID: 22488
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Bedwellty Park is located on the S side of Tredegar town centre. The War Memorial stands near the eastern boundary of the park, facing The Promenade.
County: Blaenau Gwent
Built-Up Area: Tredegar
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Erected c. 1920 as a First World War Memorial. The bronze figure was sculpted by N.A. Trent of the Morris Art Foundry, London. Bedwellty House was presented, along with its grounds, to the people of Tredegar by the Morgan family of Tredegar House in 1901, for recreational purposes.
The memorial stands on a small raised square enclosure with ashlar kerb. The structure faces E towards the road, fronted by a flight of ashlar steps. Tall tapering ashlar pedestal, the centre broken forward for bronze figure of a fully kitted soldier, standing against a tall plain Celtic Cross with wheel-head. Soldier depicted presenting arms; signed ‘N.A. Trent, London. Cast by the Morris Art Foundry, London. Inscription on plinth below reads: ‘To the Glory of God and the immortal memory of the men of Tredegar who fell in the Great War 1914-1918. They died that we might live’ Later inscription below ‘Also World War 1939-1945’.
Listed as an impressively designed war memorial in attractive parkland setting.
Other nearby listed buildings