This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7712 / 51°46'16"N
Longitude: -3.2455 / 3°14'43"W
OS Eastings: 314156
OS Northings: 208793
OS Grid: SO141087
Mapcode National: GBR YW.ZMKP
Mapcode Global: VH6CT.PRL1
Entry Name: N.C.B. Club
Listing Date: 14 October 1999
Last Amended: 14 October 1999
Source ID: 22489
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Building occupies SW quadrant of the Circle, in the town centre.
County: Blaenau Gwent
Built-Up Area: Tredegar
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Formerly the Town Hall. Built 1892, the opening ceremony held on Christmas Eve of that year. Foundation stones laid by Messrs. R.H. Spencer and David Price. The building replaced the earlier C19 town hall which stood on the same site. Now used as a club.
Construction of Pennant stone with Forest of Dean ashlar detail. Artificial half-hipped slate roof. Main two-storey block in Gothic style, with lower angled block to left, facing Morgan Street. Main block is symmetrical, seven bays long, the three alternate bays with dormer gables. Plinth. Moulded ashlar frieze at eaves level, set on shallow brackets. Centre bay has Gothic arched doorway; moulded ashlar arch on short red granite shafts with leaf capitals. C20 doors with plain overlight. Spandrels of arch filled with red ashlar (or painted stucco) chequerwork with inset small patterned tiles. Over door is shallow balcony on elongated stone consoles: ashlar balustrade with small open arches. Three four-light mullion and transome windows each side of entry; plain glazing. First floor has outer windows arranged in triplets: large nine-light mullion and transome windows set below dormer gables, narrow flanking three-light windows. The windows are flanked by shallow piers, supported on short corbels: ashlar tympanae, each with inset roundel. Gabled centre nine-light mullion and transome window has arched lights; ashlar tympanae with three roundels. Moulded stone copings to gables.
Left block is in a simple Tudor style, possibly a slightly later addition (but shown in a view of 1900). Concrete tiled roof; construction similar to main block. Three bay elevation of two storeys; centre bay angled and gabled, with wide pedimented eight-light mullion and transome window to each storey. Right bay with narrow window to each storey; brick jambs and stone lintels. Left bay has three similar windows to first floor: Similar window to ground floor right with door to left. Door has ashlar pediment and small light to right. Glazing all C20.
Not inspected at the time of survey (June 1999).
Listed for its architectural interest as a well designed late C19 former town hall.
Other nearby listed buildings