History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Tramroad Bridge over Sirhowy River

A Grade II Listed Building in Tredegar, Blaenau Gwent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.782 / 51°46'55"N

Longitude: -3.244 / 3°14'38"W

OS Eastings: 314278

OS Northings: 209991

OS Grid: SO142099

Mapcode National: GBR YW.YV9X

Mapcode Global: VH6CT.QGCS

Entry Name: Former Tramroad Bridge over Sirhowy River

Listing Date: 14 October 1999

Last Amended: 14 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22497

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located parallel to Dukestown Road, carrying junction of short road connecting to roundabout to S. Opposite entrance to Graham’s Yard.

County: Blaenau Gwent

Community: Tredegar

Community: Tredegar

Locality: Sirhowy

Built-Up Area: Tredegar

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Tredegar

History

Built 1802-05. The bridge was associated with the Sirhowy Ironworks to the NE, which opened in 1778, the first in Monmouthshire to be fired by coke rather than charcoal. The lease of the site was taken that year by Thomas Atkinson, William Barrow, Bolton Hudson and John Sealy, London speculators. A square furnace was built of river stone, the bellows at first driven by hand, until a water wheel was set up in the Sirhowy river: this doubling the 4-6 tons (4.06-6.1 tonnes) weekly output. The early 1790s saw a slump in the industry, and the works were sold in 1794 to Matthew Monkhouse and Richard Fothergill, the latter eventually constructing tramways, and initiating the building of the Sirhowy-Newport tramroad in 1802-05. The bridge formed the north end of the 32 km long tramroad, the splayed deck and side arches on the E side allowing the tramroads to fan out onto the Ironworks site. Despite closure in 1882, the furnace bank of the ironworks still survive.

Exterior

Rubble built. Wide segmental arch with cut stone voussoirs; projecting keystone. Stringcourse above arch. Splay-arches abutting each side of bridge to E, allowing the tramroad tracks to fan out towards the Ironworks site to the NE: these are of part-segmental form, abutting main bridge some 50 cm short of keystones. Low parapets with cement copings and C20 metal fencing above. Bridge continues towards SW as revetments; also to E and W alongside Dukestown Road.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a significant and unusual survival of the early iron industry in the Monmouthshire Valleys.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.