This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8987 / 51°53'55"N
Longitude: -4.7056 / 4°42'20"W
OS Eastings: 213945
OS Northings: 225694
OS Grid: SN139256
Mapcode National: GBR CX.QKH7
Mapcode Global: VH2NM.DJ5V
Entry Name: Nebo Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 20 October 1999
Last Amended: 10 February 2004
Source ID: 22501
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated just S of the junction of minor roads approximately 0.6km NE of the main junction in Efailwen.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Independent chapel of 1836, completely rebuilt in 1860-1. The original plaque is reset on the entrance gatepier.
Chapel, square plan with rendered walls and hipped slate roof, overhanging on flat eaves with paired brackets. Terracotta ridge and finials. Front has just 2 arched windows, big centre arched door and small arched plaque, all in raised stucco surrounds. Windows are small-paned sashes with intersecting bars in arched heads. Earlier C20 double doors with fanlight, and leaded glazing with 'Nebo' in white letters. Both side elevations are 2-storey, 3-window, with plastic windows replacing cambered-headed 12-pane sashes. Recessed window heads. Rear wall is entirely slate-hung in rough local slates.
Square interior with unusual 4-sided gallery on 7 thin iron columns. Gallery front in long horizontal panels with square panels between. Fourth side is carried over entrance lobby. Panelled painted grained pews with doors, in 3 blocks, the rear pews raked upwards. Some raked inward-facing pews each side of pulpit. Three-sided set fawr also panelled with doors. Pulpit backs onto lobby and has panel front with bookrest, ornate open neo-Jacobean fretwork rail each side. Three seats below, centre seat with carved scrolled armrests. Steps up each side with ramped rail over panelling, but above rail is inserted piece of pierced fretwork filling out the curve, and further fretwork over curved rear corners of platform. Timber pulpit back with thick crest of opposed scrolls in ogee form. Traceried window each side into lobby. Boarded ceiling with plaster cornice. Lobby has stone steps to gallery.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a square-plan chapel, with fine interior, unusual for the 4-sided gallery, raked pews and pulpit backed onto lobby.