This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7841 / 51°47'2"N
Longitude: -3.2149 / 3°12'53"W
OS Eastings: 316294
OS Northings: 210188
OS Grid: SO162101
Mapcode National: GBR YX.YWQ1
Mapcode Global: VH6CV.7F95
Entry Name: Mount Pleasant Stores
Listing Date: 29 October 1999
Last Amended: 29 October 1999
Source ID: 22529
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Located on W side of Mount Pleasant Road, the eighth house from the N end of its terrace.
County: Blaenau Gwent
Community: Ebbw Vale North (Gogledd Glynebwy)
Community: Ebbw Vale
Built-Up Area: Ebbw Vale
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Shop dated ‘DD 1903’. Ebbw Vale underwent a large expansion, as the Boer War brought profitable orders for iron and steel. New streets sprang up to the N of the town centre, Mount Pleasant Road begun in tandem with Mount Pleasant Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, built 1891 to the designs of W.S. Williams, architect. Shop was kept in 1920 by David Davies, grocer.
Construction of squared brown sandstone, with painted moulded brick for the upper window surround. Concrete tiled roof. Narrow frontage with full-width timber shopfront having plain outer windows, canted in to central doors. Tiled stallriser, painted over. Plain end pilasters; fascia with later lettering-board and terminals with paired brackets and rounded tops. Paired doors, narrower to right; panelled below (two panels to left, one to right), boarded shutters above; plain overlight. First floor showroom window of three wide round-headed lights on thin timber shafts within segmentally-headed opening of moulded brick; incised work to spandrels.
The interior was not inspected at the time of survey (August 1999).
Listed as an uncommon survival of an unaltered Edwardian shop within an industrial terrace of houses: even more uncommon is the survival of the showroom window at first floor level, emulating the shops in larger towns such as Cardiff and Newport.
Other nearby listed buildings