This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5731 / 51°34'23"N
Longitude: -4.1754 / 4°10'31"W
OS Eastings: 249341
OS Northings: 188266
OS Grid: SS493882
Mapcode National: GBR GS.KQQX
Mapcode Global: VH3MX.KQZF
Entry Name: Penrice Castle South-West Gates, Railings and Piers
Listing Date: 29 October 1999
Last Amended: 29 October 1999
Source ID: 22541
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the entrance to Penrice Castle park, on the minor road leading to Penrice Church.
Community: Penrice (Pen-rhys)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Penrice Castle was built in 1773-7, with William Gubbings as mason. In 1790 and 1793 Gubbings was paid for gatepiers; probably the gates, railings and piers of all four entrances to the park were added in the early 1790s.
A formal gateway in the boundary wall of Penrice Castle park. The gateway consists of two main sandstone piers carrying the gates and two outer piers of smaller size linked by fixed railings. The wall each side is of rubble sandstone, 2 m high. Stile to right. The main piers are square, about 3.5m apart, heavily rusticated and vermiculated, and with all corners hollowed. Tall plinth with base moulding. Small cornice. The finials are formalised stone flower or acorn heads on thin hollow stems, each with a thin vermiculated horizontal block. The outer piers are in plain ashlar on small plinths. Each has a simple slab coping and a hollow-stemmed cushion finial. The gates and the side railings are plain, in wrought iron, with dog railings.
Listed for group value with Penrice Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings