History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lime Kiln adjacent to Lime Kiln Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Mumbles (Y Mwmbwls), Swansea

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5763 / 51°34'34"N

Longitude: -4.0047 / 4°0'17"W

OS Eastings: 261176

OS Northings: 188291

OS Grid: SS611882

Mapcode National: GBR GX.FFRY

Mapcode Global: VH4KG.JMQY

Entry Name: Lime Kiln adjacent to Lime Kiln Road

Listing Date: 29 October 1999

Last Amended: 29 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22559

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Approximately 0.6km NW of Oystermouth church.

County: Swansea

Town: Swansea

Community: Mumbles (Y Mwmbwls)

Community: Mumbles

Locality: Oystermouth

Built-Up Area: Swansea

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
The Mumbles

History

The limestone industry of the Gower reached its peak in the late C19 when burnt lime was supplied to local industries and was exported across the Bristol Channel. The 2 large kilns at Coltshill Quarry demonstrate the increased scale of industrial limeworking in the C19. Exploitation of limestone on land at Coltshill Farm was established by the mid C19. The Oystermouth Tithe Map of 1844 shows the 2 large kilns (although they are not referred to in the apportionment) as well as 'Quarry Fields' and 'Kiln Fields' nearby. The kilns later became part of a larger concern at Coltshill known as Norton Lime Works. The capacity of the kilns was probably 30 waggon loads per charge, and the combined output of the 2 kilns was said to be 6600 tons per year. They were probably operated continuously and supplied the Cwmfelin Steel and Tinplate Works until its closure in 1957-8. Production continued until the early 1960s, supplying other steelworks. The kilns were subsequently infilled. (The quarry was subsequently the site of an Asphalt Coating Works and is now redeveloped as a housing estate.)

Exterior

A lime kiln of coursed rubble stone with a tall stack now truncated and overgrown, cut into a steep bank to facilitate charging from the top and drawing from the bottom. A brick-vaulted draw arch to the front (E) side projects in front of the stack and is of 2 phases distinguishable by a butt joint. Flanking the draw arch are raked buttresses enclosing a loading bay, principally of bedrock with stone coping. In front of the draw arch is a bedrock platform cut down to create a loading bay.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as one of a pair of large kilns representing a once important local industry and its development in the C19.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.