This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6963 / 52°41'46"N
Longitude: -3.6834 / 3°41'0"W
OS Eastings: 286335
OS Northings: 312289
OS Grid: SH863122
Mapcode National: GBR 99.37R2
Mapcode Global: WH683.DH79
Entry Name: Y Rheithordy
Listing Date: 4 November 1999
Last Amended: 4 November 1999
Source ID: 22576
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The rectory stands S of the church, approached by a curved driveway off the A470.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The present building was erected in 1611 by Dr John Davies, the eminent scholar, and was extended and remodelled in the late C18 or early C19. A terrier of 1730 records the accommodation then extant, consisting of 2 grand rooms, 2 rooms above the stair, and closet with garrets over the buttery and milkhouse.
Built of local stone rubble, with slate roofs. Two storeys, attic and cellar, 'T'-plan with the main front elevation facing N, 3 bays, symmetrical, with a central gabled C20 porch, and four-paned windows to the main reception rooms either side. On the first floor, 16-pane sashes, and two 2-light gabled dormers to the attic storey. The gable chimney stacks are recessed at both ends. The rear wing is hipped, with an axial stack. A slated lean-to on the W side extends the service arrangements, and has itself a C20 glazed porch. The S end of the T-wing has 12-pane sashes to both ground and first floors.
Not accessible at the time of inspection. It is said to have evidence of the early house, including a large inglenook fireplace in the dining room, enclosed by later work, and transverse beams surviving from the early C17, including some work in the roof. There is a plain oak stair of the late C18 or early C19
Included as a substantial rural rectory with early origins and good late C18-early C19 external character. Also for its connections with Dr John Davies, one of the greatest of C17 Welsh scholars and promoters of the Welsh Language and culture, who added the tower and porch to the church, and carried out a number of beneficial works throughout the parish.
Other nearby listed buildings