This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7131 / 52°42'47"N
Longitude: -3.6904 / 3°41'25"W
OS Eastings: 285902
OS Northings: 314167
OS Grid: SH859141
Mapcode National: GBR 99.201X
Mapcode Global: WH683.82XD
Entry Name: Nos 4, 5 and 6 Mawddwy Cottages
Listing Date: 4 November 1999
Last Amended: 4 November 1999
Source ID: 22583
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The block of 3 dwelling stands at the S end of the road.
Town: Dinas Mawddwy
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Minllyn is a planned village associated with the anticipated expansion of industrial enterprises in the Mawddwy area, particularly the development of the slate industry. This was first established around 1800, including some metal extraction, proceeded with the development of a tramway to connect to the Mawddwy Railway, brought to Aberangell after 1865. The impetus came from Edmund Buckley, whose father, a wealthy Manchester industrialist, purchased the estate in 1856. He intended to develop Dinas Mawddwy as a model village, with new education facilities, a hotel, and chapels, served by the railway which was officially opened in 1868, the year he was elevated to the baronetage. Once the main road was diverted out of Dinas Mawddwy, Buckley built a mansion, Plas Dinas in 1864-7, Minllyn Cottages, 1868, and Mawddwy Terraces, 1870-76, all for his estate and industrial workers, his architect being James Stephens, also of Manchester.
The building is constructed in a robust mountain-Gothic style, of local slate stone rubble, roughly coursed, with slate roofs, the S elevation rendered and lined out. Two storeys, No 4 occupies the S elevation, No 5 the E elevation on to the road, and No 6 the N elevation. Wavy bargeboards to gables and steep central gable to elevation facing road. Each elevation has a steeply gabled porch near the centre, with an open outer pointed arch, also with shaped bargeboards. 12-paned sash windows set back under a 2-centred arch of stone voussoirs, there being one window each side of the porch, and one above; windows to first floor only in N and S elevations. No 4, facing S has replacement windows. No 5 'Ty Canol' has uPVC windows. No 6 also has replacement windows.
The buildings represent a good example of later C19 estate architecture, retaining some of the robust gothic character which was deemed appropriate to their mountain setting. With other buildings in Minllyn, they illustrate an interesting attempt to establish a model community on the estate.
Other nearby listed buildings