This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6985 / 52°41'54"N
Longitude: -3.6386 / 3°38'18"W
OS Eastings: 289367
OS Northings: 312467
OS Grid: SH893124
Mapcode National: GBR 9C.30SH
Mapcode Global: WH684.2FMK
Entry Name: Dugoed-mawr
Listing Date: 4 November 1999
Last Amended: 4 November 1999
Source ID: 22611
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The farmhouse is uphill sited, on a terrace above the main road between Mallwyd and Welshpool, and is reached by a steeply inclined driveway.
Locality: Cwm Cewydd
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The rear wing is probably medieval, perhaps of the C16 or earlier, constructed with well-formed and very large crucks. The front range is an addition probably of the mid C19 to provide further polite accommodation. Dugoed is considered one of the primary seats of outlawry which was widespread through central and W Wales in the C16, associated with the Gwylliaid Cochion of Mawddwy. This caused much concern at the highest political levels in the land until finally suppressed by Barwn Lewys ab Owein and Sir John Wynne of Peniarth by trial and execution of 80 of their number in 1554-5. The house was also home to the bard Ifor Tudur Owen, d.1625.
The building is of rubble stonework, with slate roofs. It is in two distinct parts, the front range, aligned E-W, of 2 storeys, 2 bays, with a central entrance within a gabled open porch. uPVC windows to both floors each side, and gable stacks. The rear wing is of one storey and attic with rooflights, two bays running uphill to a gable end stack. The entrance is within a modern stone porch in the angle between the front block and the rear, under a shallow pitched roof. Small windows replaced in uPVC.
The interior of the rear wing contains the living kitchen, approached from a lower lobby at the side of the main central stack. The wing is constructed with three trusses of massive crucks rising from floor level. Large fireplace with an arched fire beam, and a blocked side feature, probably an oven, in the N gable end. The main axial stack has a further fireplace at the S end of the kitchen, with an oven at the rear. The open joisted ceiling is supported on a cross binder with cut chamfered stops, the joists also similarly chamfer stopped.
Included as a substantial vernacular farmhouse retaining substantial evidence of its sub-medieval origins, in its cruck construction and surviving plan form. The house is of additional historic interest for its association with colourful events in local history associated with contested authority and struggles for power and control.
Other nearby listed buildings