This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.758 / 52°45'28"N
Longitude: -3.6202 / 3°37'12"W
OS Eastings: 290757
OS Northings: 319052
OS Grid: SH907190
Mapcode National: GBR 6C.Z92V
Mapcode Global: WH67R.CYB0
Entry Name: Wern-gau
Listing Date: 4 November 1999
Last Amended: 4 November 1999
Source ID: 22614
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The farm is located on the SE side of the upper Dyfi valley, and is reached by a trackway from Pont-y-pumryd on the main valley road N of Llanymawddwy.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The farmhouse was probably newly built by the Roberts estate of Bryn Hall as it does not appear on the tithe map for Llanymawdddwy. The former Buckley estate was bought by the eminent London surgeon, Sir William Roberts MD FRS in 1878, who undertook many works of improvement to the buildings and living conditions in the district.
Built of rubble stone, with a slate roof. Two storeys, 3 bays aligned along the crest of a small hill. A symmetrical front faces W. Central part-glazed door with a deep stone lintel. The bays either side, and the three first floor windows are all 2-light 6-paned timber casements, stone lintels over the ground floor window openings. Deep gabled eaves to the gable end, which is clad in corrugated iron. Stacks to both gable ends with dripstones and necking courses. At the rear, a lean-to placed centrally, and two 2-light windows.
Not accessible at the time of inspection.
Included as a well-preserved late C19 estate farmhouse, one of the best of a series of building from this period in the area, built in a simple vernacular style in traditional plan form, with traditonal use of stonework and window details. Of group value with its farm building.
Other nearby listed buildings