This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1234 / 53°7'24"N
Longitude: -4.1093 / 4°6'33"W
OS Eastings: 258950
OS Northings: 360550
OS Grid: SH589605
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.7B7Y
Mapcode Global: WH54M.VRCD
Entry Name: Hafodty
Listing Date: 4 November 1999
Last Amended: 4 November 1999
Source ID: 22664
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in remote wooded position at the end of a driveway leading off the track/road leading down from Dinorwic to Llanberis; driveway has drystone slate slab wall with slab-on-edge coping.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Apparently mid-C19 house, the size and quality of which together with its proximity to the quarry suggest that it may have been built for the quarry manager or other senior official within the quarry company. The Dinorwic Quarry was first established in 1787, taking over existing workings in the area, the first incline being built in 1789. By the 1830s there was a tramway system on each terrace of the quarry, steam locomotives being introduced in the 1870s. The eventual scale of the quarry was such that its output of c100,000 tons p.a. in the late 1890s put in on a par with Penrhyn, representing almost a quarter of the total production of Welsh slate. The quarry finally closed in 1969.
Substantial 2-storey building, main section aligned roughly north-south with principal elevation on west and long lower range at right-angles to east on south, the rear (eastern) part of which serves as service quarters. Rendered rubblestone, except for a small area of exposed rubble towards the rear of the service range; slate roofs, hipped to the southern end of the main range where it slopes down over the right-angled range. Principal elevation of 3 bays with large full-height gable to left, small gable breaking eaves in centre and gable of right-angled range on right; 4-paned sashes on first floor and to centre on ground floor; large 12-paned French windows to left and right; tall integral end stack to left and ridge stack to left of centre gable. Long south return of right-angled range has 3 sash windows on first floor, 6-paned to left and 16-paned to centre; integral lateral stack with tall stone shaft on left, stone ridge stack to right of centre and integral end stack to right gable end with paired and rebated brick shafts; lower projecting gabled range between centre and right windows with late C20 lean-to conservatory running along remainder of range to left.
Interior not accessible at time of Survey.
Included as a substantial mid-C19 house retaining much of its original fabric and character, an important element in the quarrying landscape of the former Dinorwic Slate Quarry.
Other nearby listed buildings