This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1595 / 53°9'34"N
Longitude: -3.3758 / 3°22'32"W
OS Eastings: 308108
OS Northings: 363366
OS Grid: SJ081633
Mapcode National: GBR 6P.4VX5
Mapcode Global: WH772.3VR8
Entry Name: No.4 The Almshouses
Listing Date: 19 July 1966
Last Amended: 29 November 1999
Source ID: 22680
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Adjoining the churchyard at the W end
Community: Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The Llanrhaeadr almshouses were erected by Jane, widow of Maurice Jones of Ddol and Llanrhaeadr hall in 1729. The foundation provided for eight houses and gardens for poor elderly folk of the parish. The complex was conceived as an H-shaped block with a central gabled porch giving access via a covered passage to a large walled garden at the rear. The eight units were originally of one room each and had shared chimneys; their entrances were from the passage, rear and sides, thereby ensuring that the facade appeared as a unified whole. In 1820 the great great nephew of the foundress, William, second Baron Bagot of Blifthfield in Staffordshire, and Pool Park and Bachymbyd in Denbighshire, repaired the almshouses and made minor alterations, notably to the chimneys and openings. The complex was further restored in 1963 and is currently divided into four units.
Listed for its special interest as a second-quarter C18 almshouse complex with sensitive C19 alterations retaining particularly good external character.
Group value with other listed items at the Almshouses and St Dyfnog's Church.
Other nearby listed buildings